Is trichomoniasis possible from sharing pool or sauna?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question:

had some urethral irritation stiill do have a little bit but slight.. is it possible i had trich.. maybe passed it to girlfriend? i was tested neg for gono and chlamydia and hiv and urine culture had NO growth.. had a little prostatitis tho... took 10 days of cipro..
is there a specific test for trich ?

trich has no symptoms in some women?
could it show up in a urine culture ? can it be caught from pool jacuzzi or sauna ?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is possible to acquire infection from pool or sauna.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. It is possible to acquire trichomonas infection from pool or sauna.
It can have a long incubation period of 28 days. So if you have the infection and had unprotected sex then there is possibility of spreading it to your partner.

For females it shows symptoms like foul smelling vaginal discharge and irritation which is unlikely in males. Most females shows up these symptoms. Males can be asymptomatic.
Trichomonas can be tested by microscopy of vaginal fluid in females or urine in males. Rapid antigen test is also available.

Metronidazole is the drug of choice for trichomonas. It is given as a single dose of 2gram or 500 mg as prolonged therapy.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
is there anything else non std that can cause urethral irritation? do i need to ask my doctor for that specific trich test.. it is slight

my girlfriend has some discomfort she cant describe and some yeast symptoms also

i dont have gonnorhae or chlamydia and urine culture came back wit NO gowth.. would that elminate trich?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Other bacterial infection also can give urethral irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Non STD bacterial infection also can give urethral irritation. But if your culture is clear then it is most unlikely. You have to as for specific trichomonas test to rule out trichomonas.
In female it can coexist with yeast infection also.
Urine culture or gonorrhea/chlamydia tests doesn't eliminate trichomonas.

It is better to have metronidazole antibiotic therapy for you and your partner to clear this. Single dose of 2 grams is effective for his. For your partner clotrimazole cream also should be used locally for yeast infection.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.