• question-icon

Is treatment for rectal cancer possible?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: mum had ovarian cancer in 2008 and now she has rectal cancer. I will attach clinic letter. they say mum can be cured again which is good. do you see the prognosis is good? also as mum has now had cancer twice is it likely she will get it again somewhere else? or is this just a coincidence? if mum was to get it somewhere else in a few years would they be able to keep sort my mum out? I am really worried and scared. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cancer is a chronic disease

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . The good news is the rectal cancer is relatively small and not adherent to the surrounding tissues but the bad news is the treatement is a long course of chemotherapy that might be followed with surgical excision of the rectum and replacing it by a colostomy opening in the abdomen for defecation .. cancer should be considered as a chronic disease that can recur after even many years but adopting a healthy life style by eating right and excersicing shall decrease the risk of recurrence . I hope I answered your question. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 27 minutes later
do you see this current cancer can be sorted with the treatment plan and operation? I understand about colostomy is it in my mum's lymph nodes?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only adjacent lymph nodes

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms,

according to the size, staging and treatment plan described by the doctor, yes I believe that the condition is treatable. Yes , only 2 near by lymph nodes are affected but no distant lymphnodes are affected.

I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 23 minutes later
what stage is this please and can mum be free of cancer
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
T1N1M0

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, the staging will be T1N1M0 and yes she's can be cured from it in following the treatment plan prescribed . I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman