Is travelling safe during early stage of pregnancy?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is pregnent for 15 days. We went to a doctor and she had suggested to get some tests done by january 1st week.There is no coplications right now.

My wife has to go in marriage cermony of her sister. Is it ok to travel in 3rd week of Janyary?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 39 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query and congratulations to the parents to be.

In the beginning of pregnancy some tests are always asked to have basic idea. This is a routine practice.

Normally during pregnancy in the first 12 weeks patient is advised to avoid travel as much as possible.

I can understand your social concern.

She can undertake travel after examination by your doctor and provided the doctor finds that everything is fine.

The preferred mode of travel will be by train if you are planning go out station. Minimize jerks during travel; take precautions to avoid any form of fall during travel. Ask her to wear loose clothes and take light diet.

Your doctor may ask for ultrasound to know the well being of foetus.

Please consult your doctor before travel.

I hope this answers your query. I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have anything more to ask please accept the answer.

Dr.Pragnesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D