Is traveling by flight safe after nasal cauterization?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had three chemical and three electric cauterization for the nose in the last 6 weeks. Is it safe for me to fly in two weeks?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ideally, no. Possible with care, if it is a short flight.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Ideally, you should wait 4 to 6 weeks before flying if you have had 6 cauterizations in the nose.

2. If you cannot avoid the flight, carry two sets of nasal packings (such as Merocel). If it is a short flight, you should be fine. A medical attendant is recommended.

3. What is the provisional cause detected for this epistaxis? Is it an anterior bleed or a posterior bleed? Do you have details of the areas in the nose where the cauterization was done? Anterior bleeds are easier to control with nose pinching / pressure and ice packs. Which medications are you currently taking?

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.