Is trace of protein in urine a cause for concern?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 9 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have trace of protein in urine. liver function is normal BP normal
How do I get this trace out of urine any causes like gum swelling or using r antifungal cream or dehydration any coz of worry never had this before
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing much to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome
I have gone through your query and do understand your concern.
Trace of protein in urine is not much significant but should be watched for, I would advise you to repeat the urine analysis after 20 days and also to see if blood urea and creatinine are normal or not. If normal do not worry about it.
Temporary raise in urine protein is noted in fever, to much Cold and heat exposure, emotional stress, strenuous exercise and in UTI. Severe dehydration can be responsible.

I don't think there is any relationship between traces of protein in urine and your advice mentioned causes other than dehydration.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar