Is tooth extraction advisable while on Fosamax?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: WI have taken fosamax for bones for years. My jaw tooth at rear slightly hurt. It has creak in root and Doctor says I can not get root canal and should not extract as I have been on fosamax as it could cause continuous infection in tooth socket and in knee where I had replacement. What am I to do?

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go ahead for decoronation of tooth

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

As you are on Fosamax for long time, so going for extraction or RCT may lead to osteonecrosis.

Therefore you may go for decoronation, which is an alternative to extraction and involves removal of remaining crown portion with endodontic treatment to keep infection from passing through the root of the tooth to bone.

Do not go for capping as it is not like complete root canal treatment.
Please discuss these with your oral surgeon for further treatment plan.

Hope I answered your query, feel free to ask further.

Kind Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee