Is tonsillitis contagious despite being on Prednisone?
The virus or bacteria can spread 7 to 14 days
Tonsillitis is generally caused by a viral infection though bacterial infections can also occur as well.
Tonsillitis itself isn't contagious meaning the sore throat symptoms do not spread but the virus or bacteria (less commonly), causing the infection is contagious eg It is normally caused by the cold/flu virus- it is possible to spread to cold/flu to someone else but they may not necessarily have a sore throat. May only have congestion, headache etc
This virus can be spread usually about 7 to 10 days.
If the tonsillitis is caused by a bacterial infection (and there is associated sneezing or coughing or other symptoms that may spread it), then it can sometimes spread up to 2 weeks.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Tonsilitis black area on tonsil
- Holes in tonsils tonsillitis
- Is tonsillitis contagious through kissing
- Shrunken tonsils tonsils
- Tonsillitis pustule on tonsil
- Tonsillitis with no tonsils
- Is septic tonsillitis contagious
- Scarred tonsils after tonsillitis
- Swollen tonsils prescribed prednisone will i be okay
- How contagious is tonsillitis
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?