question-icon

Is tonsillitis contagious despite being on Prednisone?

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018
Question: How long is tonsillitis contagious I am 69 yrs old.I have been on prednisone for 5 days now.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

The virus or bacteria can spread 7 to 14 days

Detailed Answer:

Tonsillitis is generally caused by a viral infection though bacterial infections can also occur as well.

Tonsillitis itself isn't contagious meaning the sore throat symptoms do not spread but the virus or bacteria (less commonly), causing the infection is contagious eg It is normally caused by the cold/flu virus- it is possible to spread to cold/flu to someone else but they may not necessarily have a sore throat. May only have congestion, headache etc

This virus can be spread usually about 7 to 10 days.
If the tonsillitis is caused by a bacterial infection (and there is associated sneezing or coughing or other symptoms that may spread it), then it can sometimes spread up to 2 weeks.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
Dr. Michelle Gibson James