Is tinnitus a side effect of Plavix?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 25 Jan 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,
I have recently added 2 new medications clopidrogel 75 mg once a day and asprin 81 mg once a day due to having had a stent inserted in my Right coronay artery for a 90% blockage. This was on 12/19. Since then I have developed tinnitus. The ringing in my ears is now constant. I never had this before and is clearly a side effect from either the plavix or aspirin.

Does this side effect eventually go away.? Will this produce some kind of long term damage Should I have some type of test done to determine the amount of ringing I have? Is there perhaps any medication I should take or perhaps any known home remedies or vitamins that reduce or eliminate the constant ringing?

thank you
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
welcome to healthcaremagic and thanks for putting up the query
tinnitus is one of the common side effects of Aspirin on ear
Aspirin is also known to cause hearing loss along with tinnitus
best would be to go for an audiometry to see the amount of hearing loss and if it is there you should consult the physician once again regarding continuation of Aspirin or substituting it with something else
please follow up here with your audiometry report then only I can advise you further
you are always welcome with any further queries
thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng