Is tingling pain starting at hip symptom of sciatica?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello,
I have a tingling pain traveling along the side of my thigh, into the knee, then continues into the calf muscle. It could be sciatica, but it doesn't begin in my lower back, it starts in my hip and goes through the IT band. It bothers me the most when I'm trying to sleep. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
it can be IT band tightness or sciatica

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
There is possibility of tight IT band.
You may need clinical examination to confirm the diagnosis.
Physiotherapy like ultrasound and Tens may give you a great relief.
Another possibility of lumbar disc compression leading to radiating leg pain.
It may not give pain in back.
MRI spine will help in diagnosis.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 47 hours later
Would these indications pertain to any side of the leg, (i.e. front, side,) and shift to the other leg? There is some knee pain also but I don't know if it is related.
What do you think?
If I don't have access to ultrasound, is there some other home-based remedy I can do?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Pain usually occur on side in tight IT band.

Knee pain can be due to age related knee osteoarthritis.

You can use hot fomentation,you can apply analgesic gel,turmeric paste application may help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari