• question-icon

Is tinea versicolor a sign of HIV infection?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, It is Tinea versicolor a sign of hiv infection? 4 months after expouser i did a hiv test and it was negative. When the test was done i was taking multi-vitamins. Do you think that the multi-vitamins can make the test to fail?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding your query related to tinea versicolor and HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist and venereologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Tinea versicolor is a common skin infection caused by a yeast, malassezia furfur. It is not a sign of HIV infection. Tinea versicolor is otherwise quite common in the general population, particularly in hot, humid weather conditions and is not a reason to suspect HIV infection.
A screening test for HIV antibodies is conclusive at 3 months onwards. A multivitamin supplement would not interfere with HIV screening test.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Hiv test was made 4 months after expouser, so is conclusive. I was curious if the multivitamins can interfere with the Hiv test. Last week i was to the swimming pool in my town. It is possible to catch the tinea versicolor from there?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding tinea versicolor

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

The yeast, malassezia furfur resides normally on the skin and in favorable conditions like sweating, heat and humidity it proliferates to form patches of Tinea versicolor.
Multivitamins do not interfere with the result of HIV screening test. Your screening test result is conclusive.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Thank you very much, can i relax and forget al this Hiv thing?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi..You are safe.

Thank you for writing to us.
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist