Is there risk of getting STD after a body massage?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Thu, 8 May 2014 in General Health
Question: I was wondering because I was at a spa today where it was a nude message which the therapist has his hands all over my body, does that contribute to any type of STD? And could the table have any germs that I should fear because it was a body scrub?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No worries, Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The risk of you getting an STD from this kind of activity is extremely low. Generally, Spa therapists working conditions are generally acceptable, with regards to the risk of contracting infection. In case you got any wounds on your body, or if Spa therapist had some infection, this could predispose you to infection. The hand washing practices, sterilization techniques really make the risk of contracting an STD, as is in your case really very minimal. Really do not think you got to be that worried. Thanks and kind regards Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T