Is there risk of HIV after protected sex?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had a possible exposure to HIV through encounter with female sex worker which was as follows 1) oral sex was performed on me with condom on without eventual ejaculation. the condom was intact. 2) Inserted finger in vagina. My finger had a very small almost dry skin abrasion from before. I was precribed a PEP by the name of VIROTRENZ. I took it at about 24 hours after the exposure. my questions i)) What are my risks of infection ? ii) Am i taking the correct preventive drug? iii) How effective is this medicine?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Risk of HIV following fingering Detailed Answer: Hello, Answer for the first question is as you had oral sex with the female sex worker with a intact condom risk of getting HIV will not be there. Inserting finger with a small abrasion in vagina of HIV positive female chance of getting HIV will be there,but it is extremely unlikely. HIV is in blood and vaginal fluids, so theoretically it could pass from the vagina into a cut, but again, it's unlikely. There has been no reported case of HIV transmission by fingering and hand to genital contact. As theoretically it is possible to transmit HIV by fingering, post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is advised by your doctor with a course antiviral drugs of VIROTRENZ. Any HIV negative person who has recently been exposed to HIV for any reason, antiretroviral drugs will reduces the risk of seroconversion after events with risk of exposure to HIV. To be most effective, treatment should begin within an hour of exposure.After 72 hours PEP is much less effective, and may not be effective at all, as your doctor as advise with in 24 hours, it will serve the purpose of PEP. Prophylactic treatment for HIV should be given for four weeks with antiviral drugs of VIROTRENZ . After receiving PEP you need to undergo antibody test at 6 months after the exposure as well as the standard 3 month test. The antiretroviral regimen used in PEP is the same as the standard highly active antiretroviral therapy used to treat AIDS. These drug are very effective in preventing the disease if you are taking for four weeks. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 14 hours later
Thank you very much Doctor for your advice. I am not on any other medicine. But can anything i eat interact with this drug or inhibit it? usually i eat fruits and 2-3 neem leaves when recovering from any illness along with my prescribed medication, but because of the seriousness of this issue i am not sure whether i should do so. Is there anything i should avoid in regular diet ? I am on my 2nd day of this medication. Thank you once again for your help
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Risk of HIV following Fingering Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to answer your query, The Fruits and Neem leaves will boost up the immunity and it will not interfere with the action of antiretroviral drug. Continue to take lots of fruits it will help to boost good immunity in the body and definitely it is a good thing to do. Eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy body weight, exercising regularly, practicing safe sex, and following your medication regimen are all important steps. These principles of diet include: 1.Eating a diet high in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes 2.Choosing lean, low-fat sources of protein 3.Limiting sweets, soft drinks, and foods with added sugar 4.Including proteins, carbohydrates, and a little good fat. 5.Eat more fiber-rich whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. 6.Exercise. You can have the foods what you are consuming all these years, the food will not interact the action of antiretroviral drugs. Hope you are satisfied with the answer to the queries you have posted. Still if you have any query please post me. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E