• question-icon

Is there interaction between Risperdal, Abilify and Prozac?

Posted on Mon, 8 Aug 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hello,
7 days ago i started taking 1 mg of risperdal along with 20 mg of abilify and 20 mg of prozac. Unfortunately due to side effects (tongue moving) after 2 days of taking risperdal (with everything else) i stopped abilify.
after few days i started to feel very bad. i returned to (5 days ago) but i still dont feel as goog as before i stopped the abilify and i feel that the risperdal stopped working.
now i consider to switch to invega (3 mg) but what should i do with the abilify. can i just stop taking it while on invega without having withdrawal symptoms?
im very afraid that the abilify (while its still in the blood) will strengthen invega potency and when it will be off invega will stop working just like risperdal did..
ill be very grateful for advise what to do as i feel im stuck with that Abilify.. I just want to add that abilify stopped working in very similar conditions..im afraid the same thing will happen with invega if it is mixed with abilify in some way and than i stop the abilify.

thank you
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Invega is actually the active metabolite of risperidone, which in some people means that it is better because it avoids some of the side effects of risperidone. Invega is a good choice for you. You can stop Risperdal right away and start Invega immediately.

As far as Abilify goes, it is also safe to stop Abilify immediately and start Invega immediately. Abilify has a long half-life and remains in the blood for several days after you stop taking it. However, this will not potentiate the effect of Invega at all, because they work on dopamine receptors in very different ways. You may feel a bit more sedated than usual, but this effect will wear off in a few days.

In summary, it is safe to stop Risperdal and Abilify and start Invega immediately.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist