Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Is there any way to test blood sugar without pricking fingers or any other body part?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 983 Questions
Is there any way to test your blood sugar (gluclose) without pricking your fingers or any other body part?
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
There are several ways you can test your blood sugar levels without pricking yourself, but the results may not be as accurate as that of a regular blood test.
The first is by using a urine sample. Dipsticks are available for checking the glucose levels. If glucose is present, it means diabetes is not properly controlled. Some other dipsticks may give you a rough idea of the blood glucose levels.
The OrSense glucometer uses light to measure your blood glucose. It needs to be calibrated with your regular glucometer. This may be as accurate as the regular glucometer but since well designed, large clinical trials are not available to validate this data, I will not be able personally recommend this device for you.
I hope that answers your question. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor