Is there any way to detect fetal heart beat after ten days of pregnancy?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi, my last menstrual period date is september 8,2013.i took clome 100 for five days and had fertigyn injection on day 20(sep 20,2013).Had susten for ten days(day 16 to day 25).conformed pregnancy with doctor (both urine and blood test) on oct 18 (day 41).On that day with vaginal US doctor said a small sac is seen let us wait for ten days. hcg count was 656.3mlU/ml on day 41(oct 18).Doctor advised me to take folic acid and susten 200mg tablets. today we went to doctor for second check up.she said the sac has grown but heart beat is not seen. she had written in the report that sac increased in size .no yolk sac or fetal pole. she had asked to come after 10 days to check heart beat again.she also told if heart beat is not seen in next days then it means its not a healthy baby. she advised to take ecosprin75 along with folic acid and susten 200.what for ecosprin 75 is given??? is there chance of heart beat after ten days.today i m on day 55 from last menstrual period.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: MISCARRIAGE LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Going by your last menstrual period, you are now 55 days, or 8 weeks ( 7 weeks and 6 days to be precise ). I would think there is a slight error in the question that you have typed out. If your last menstrual period was on the 8th of September, then that would mean that you had Fertigyn injection on 20th September, which would be day 13 of your cycle. However, you have mentioned it to be day 20. So please do clarify that. At 8 weeks, today, there should be a definite presence of fetal pole AND a proper heartbeat. Please upload the ultrasound report if possible. A missed miscarriage is the term employed when the pregnancy is not destined to be viable or grow normally. The term is employed when there is - Absence of any growth of the gestational sac or fetal pole over a 5-day period of observation. Absence of a visible fetal heartbeat when the CRL ( length of the embryo ) is greater than 5 mm. Gestational sac larger than 12 mm mean diameter without visual evidence of a yolk sac. So, I would opine that the pregnancy is less likely to grow normally now, and mostly you would require termination of pregnancy. If you upload the report, I can be more precise in guiding you. Ecosprin 75 contains low dosage of aspirin which helps in improving blood supply to the baby and increasing chances of successful pregnancy. Susten contains progesterone, which also supports the growing embryo. Please continue taking the medications as advised. Also, avoid exertion, stress and sexual intercourse. Have a review scan as advised, and still if no growth is seen, then you would need termination of pregnancy. About 1 in 5 pregnancies fail, and the most common reason is chromosomal abnormality in the baby. Please do not worry, as most such women go on to have successful deliveries the next time around. If termination of pregnancy is done, ensure that the products are sent for chromosomal analysis . Wishing you lots of luck. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 days later
thank you doctor. today (nov 4th)we took a hcg test which shows 1192.8mlU/ml .previous report was taken on oct 17 where the result is 656.3mlU/ml . what should i conclude from this low level of hcg.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: GET AN ULTRASOUND SCAN TO DIFFERENTIATE. Detailed Answer: Hi again. The very low HCG level could indicate - 1. Miscalculation of pregnancy dates - pregnancy occurred later than expected, if this is the case, then the scan scheduled ahead would definitely show signs of viable pregnancy. 2. Ectopic pregnancy - pregnancy outside the uterus. In this condition, there is no rise of the B HCG levels as expected. 3. A miscarriage - which has been suspected all along. To differentiate again between the three, the next logical step would be a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan, which will let you know what the exact condition is. Please get that done and do revert with the results. All the best. Please do discuss further anytime you wish to.