Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Is there any urine drug test that differentiates between methadone and heroin?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 1486 Questions
I need to know if there is a urine drug test that differentiates between methadone and heroin? My boyfriend is supposed to be taking methadone in place of heroin but I have doubts. If there is a test out there that will give me the information I'm looking for, please send me the info on where I can purchase such a test.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, differentiation is possible.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Yes, it is possible to differentiate between methadone and heroin in biological samples as both have different metabolites.

There are two major types of tests available:

1) Highly accurate tests, usually using techniques like chromatography and enzyme immunoassays, taking a few days and requiring laboratory settings. These cannot be used in the home.
2) Less accurate and faster tests, like urine dipstick tests which can be used at the home.

The second type can suffice your needs. There are many drug testing companies that manufacture these tests and sell them online as well. Look for test kits that separately mention methadone and opioids. For example, try the 9 panel drug tests available on sites like, WWW.WWWW.WW etc. The 9 panel tests screen for both methadone and other opioids in addition to other drugs.

However, I feel that there should be no need to buy these tests as most methadone clinics routinely test all patients to confirm that they are taking methadone and not heroin. You can go with your boyfriend to the clinic that provides him methadone and share your fears with them. I am sure they will be willing to allay your fears.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact us in case you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor