• question-icon

Is there any relation between hormonal imbalance and protein creatinine ratio?

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Can we make a lab test on urine with menstruation blood for proteinurine and creatinine ?
relationship between hormonal imbalance and proteinurine creatinine ratio
-- menstruation twice a month and UR ration 0.35 mg/mg (proteinurine mg/creatinine mg)
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Contaimination may cause alteration in protein creatinine ratio.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXX

Contamination of urine with menstrual blood may cause alteration in protein creatinine ratio.

Ideally mid stream morning sample is preferred for urine test.Females should spread the labia of the vagina and then clean from front to back.After starting urination,let some urine fall into the toilet then she should collect sample in the container.

Contamination may be the reason for elevated values but this much deviation is not expected.However,it need clinical correlation and further investigations.

I suggest you to go for repeat test.

Hormone which increases metabolism like hyperthyroidism,elevated cortisol level etc may cause alteration in urine protein creatinine ratio.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist