• question-icon

Is there any potential interaction among testosterone injections, Oxybutynin and Mirabegron?

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2019 in General Health
Question: ➡ ** Can I get BPH from a single injection of testosterone? ** ⬅ (0.65 ml of Testosterone CYP INJ MDV 200mg/ml)

Is there any potential interaction among testosterone injections, oxybutynin & mirabegron (Myrbetriq)? I'm having *serious* difficulty getting a stream started, some stopping-and-starting & frequent urination w/low volume. Could oxybutynin & mirabegron reduce bladder contractions, causing me to "push" harder to start & maintain a stream?

By The Way: I had prostate surgery in August 2017.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mostly you have developed narrowing of urethral passage (Stricture) Urethra

Detailed Answer:

Based on the facts that you have posted difficulty in passing urethra with poor stream ,frequent urination that you have is most likely to be due to narrowing of urethral passage (Stricture Urethra ) developed after prostate surgery .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) Was it an open surgery ,Laparoscopic surgery,or an Endoscopic surgery ?
2) Was surgery done for enlarged prostate or cancer of prostate ?

It is very common and known complication to develop narrowing of urethral passage (Stricture) or bladder neck stenosis after prostate surgery giving rise to obstructive voiding symptoms that you have .

Please consult your Urologist for revaluation .He may do some basic tests like
1) Retrograde Urothrogram
2) Endoscopic Examination of urethral passage (Urothroscopy)to confirm the diagnosis and may do Optical Internal Urethrotomy .

Drugs like Nerabegron or Oxybutinine reduce the spam of bladder muscles and do not reduce magnitude of power of contraction of detrusor muscle .

A single shot of Testosterone do not cause BPH .It is very slow process that is age related and usually starts after the age of 50 years

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Surgery was for BPH (not cancer). It was TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate w/possible laser or vaporization assistance).
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for feedback ]

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback .

Obstructive voiding symptoms that you have are mostly due to either Post TURP bladder neck stenosis or Urethral stricture .

Consult your Urologist he may advise for endoscopic(Cystoscopic) evaluation and do either Optical Internal Urethrotomy or Bladder Neck Incision (BNI) depending upon the endoscopic finding.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist