Owl Image

Is there any permanent cure for rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatologist
Question
Hello Doctor, Is there any permanent cure for rhemutaid arthritis? I am on medication for last 5 years. I have tried all kinds of medication including allopathy, ayurvedic and homeopathy but all these procedures gave me a temporary relief. As soon as i stop the pain gets aggrevated.Which medication should i continue and for how many years i have to be on medication. I have joint stiffness and pains in the knee joints, wrists, fingers,shoulders and neck.
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

You are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, this to some extent is genetic, and definitely a chronic disease.

What you need to understand is, that just like if a person suffers from hypertension or diabetes they have to be on some medicine or the other. But if they are properly treated, no one can even guess that they have the disease. Similarly if a person has arthritis, and is on proper medication, the disease stays under control. But if you are wanting a cure, I am sorry, but in no discipline there is a cure.

Apart from this, if you keep stopping your medication (folitrax) on and off, damage in the joints keep adding up. If the disease is properly controlled, ideally you will not really need to take pain killers.

If you have stopped the medication as planning for pregnancy, then it is fine. But ideally, your disease should be quiescent before you plan for pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.