Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Is there any permanent cure for rheumatoid arthritis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 550 Questions
Hello Doctor, Is there any permanent cure for rhemutaid arthritis? I am on medication for last 5 years. I have tried all kinds of medication including allopathy, ayurvedic and homeopathy but all these procedures gave me a temporary relief. As soon as i stop the pain gets aggrevated.Which medication should i continue and for how many years i have to be on medication. I have joint stiffness and pains in the knee joints, wrists, fingers,shoulders and neck.
Posted Sun, 3 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later

You are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, this to some extent is genetic, and definitely a chronic disease.

What you need to understand is, that just like if a person suffers from hypertension or diabetes they have to be on some medicine or the other. But if they are properly treated, no one can even guess that they have the disease. Similarly if a person has arthritis, and is on proper medication, the disease stays under control. But if you are wanting a cure, I am sorry, but in no discipline there is a cure.

Apart from this, if you keep stopping your medication (folitrax) on and off, damage in the joints keep adding up. If the disease is properly controlled, ideally you will not really need to take pain killers.

If you have stopped the medication as planning for pregnancy, then it is fine. But ideally, your disease should be quiescent before you plan for pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor