Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

141 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is there any permanent cure for paranoid schizophrenia?

Answered by
Dr. Srikanth Reddy


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2770 Questions

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: hi
Hi my husband is suffering from paranoid schizophrenia is there perminant cure for this or is there any chance that it may reoccur
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later

Thanks for choosing health care magic to post your query.

I would be more than happy to help you if you can provide me a few more details regarding your husband’s health:

1) What are his symptoms as of now?
2) How long has it been so?
3) What are the medications that he is on currently?
4) How is he behaving on his medication?

Providing such an information will let us serve you in a better way.

Hope to hear from you soon...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 hours later
1. he is hearing to voices which are warning him that some one is going to harm him or some thing of that sort. he will start shouting him self.
2. He always speaks in himself and he will start speaking and shouting and talk about irrelevant topics like ex:some mla or mp is having angry on him and talking negatively about him. No one can control him at that moment.
3.he will talk each and every small issue and fight with me and his parents that we are wanted ly apposing him and fights with us for years even we accept that is our mistak also he wont accept.
4. he scolds his parents and sometimes he beats them also
5. When he is fully conscious he him self accepts that he has aproblem

we got married 5 year back from the day one of our marrige he is fighting with me without any reasons
i am observing this very severly from 4 years
in the initial days of our marrige he used to fight with me regarding some up and downs happend in his marrige afterwards he started pointing me for small issues like i serve him tea wantedly late and i wantedly spoil the tast of the tee and something like that

Current medication:
He is admited in vimhans hospital vijayawada and currently he was given below medicens
1.Riswel MD2
2. Chloromazine hydrochllride tablet 1.p 50 mg
3. Nodip
4. Homin
he was told to take current treatment for 4 to 5 seating and 2 sittings are over
he says voices has come down approximatly 80%
i am posting this question only for second opinion
i want to know what are the precotions to be taken and do this problem has permanent cure or not.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for a detailed explanation of his symptoms. There is no doubt that your husband is suffering paranoid schizophrenia.
He is currently on risperidone and chlorpromazine. I am not pretty sure what does "Nodip" and "homin" contain. But still risperidone is a good drug.
First episode psychosis is treated for 18-24 months and then the medications are gradually reduced after the symptoms are almost nil.
Positive symptoms such as suspiciousness and voices reduce fast but withdrawn behaviour and flat affect take a lot of time.
After this initial treatment around 60% of the patients will have a relapse of symptoms after a few years. Many of them who attain remission may not show any symptoms later on. However as of now there are no strong predictors whether your husband will develop relapse of symptoms or not after his treatment is over.
There is no permanent cure for Schizophrenia.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
If you have any further query, I will be more than happy to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly and review if possible.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 9 hours later
thanx for ur reply i want to know one more thing i do not have kids if i am blessed with kids is there any possibility of having this proble for my kids also
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later

Schizophrenia is transmitted genetically and your concerns are very much justified. If one parent has schizophrenia, then there is around 13% higher chance of developing schizophrenia among the offspring’s as compared to the general population. Therefore your son/daughters have about 13% higher chance of developing schizophrenia. Other than schizophrenia, he/she will also be prone to develop mood disorder, anxiety disorder and personality disorder as well.

But please understand that though 13% is quite high, still a significant number of children may not develop any illness at all and can live a positive life. Even if anybody develops initial symptoms of psychosis, the same if treated at early stages has higher chances of remission and getting treated completely. So, practically you don't need to panic and can bear children. Only issue is that you should be watchful of any problematic behaviour in your children as they grow.

Keeping statistics apart, I have personally seen many children of schizophrenic parents doing well in their life and also taking care of their mentally ill parents.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and mention a review if possible.

Wish you a good health!


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Mood disorder

doctor1 MD

I think I have a UTI, I have been sexually active for 4 months now and never had any problems until now. I am not sure if it is a UTI. I m 19 5 1 and 116 lbs. I have bipolar disorder and adult ADD.I don t know if there is anything I can do because the symptoms seem to get worse and worse

doctor1 MD

Female aged 18 heigh 5,5 weight 70 medical history depression on Prozac, had appendix out About 3 years ago, suffers from migranes. Problem .. Feel like I have something stuck in my chest and throat, quite uncomfortable, have tried throwing up but can t clear it.

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr. I am a 33 year old woman who is experiencing HORRIBLE mood swings, I have been taking b yaz birth control for almost 2 mos, the 1st mo was ok but now I don t think its helping at all. what birth control pills do you suggest for mood swings and heavy periods?

doctor1 MD

Recently I had unprotected sex with my fiancee, after which she took ipill within 12 hrs., now she is probably having mood- swings, as she is behaving differently. She gets irritated, doesn t seem to trust me. Can you please tell as to how long her mood swings may last..

doctor1 MD

My Husband has nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and diarrhea started last night. He is diabetic and is also on clozapine for a mood disorder . What can I give him to help reduce the symptoms?

doctor1 MD

hi can u pls call me at 408 409 0256 i am taking marijuana 0.5 g and respiridone 1mg i have also taken etizolam and aripiprazole in the past month . i am very concerned as to what the side effects will be i have not had bad side effects in the...

doctor1 MD

i have smoked marijuana and i have taken 1mg Risperidone . what will be the side effects ? if i do this for one week what will happen to my mental health ?