Is there any medicine to improve skin complexion?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dear Madam/Sir
My Daughter is dark in colour she is little black same like myself and my wife are same, where as her elder sister is in pink incolour like my father in law. Can you suggest any medication to improve her complection brighter.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I understand your concern for your daughter and will advise you accordingly.
The skin color is determined by genetic and environmental factors.
The genetic factors are given to her by you and her mother.They are permanent and cannot change.What can be changed is environmental factors like photomelanosis and acquired pigmentation.

Majority of the acquired pigmentation is due to sun exposure.You can let her use good quality sunscreen like Photoban aqua gel for routine use.It has to be applied every day after bath.Has to be repeated after 3-4 hours depending on outdoor activity.Along with this physical sun protection is must like using caps/goggles/scarf s to prevent sun exposure.
Including vitamin C in diet is of very importance .Vitamin C inhibits melanin synthesis which prevents skin darkening.Also Vitamin c supplements like Tab Limcee can be given on routine basis.Lemon juice and citrate fruits are to be given.
Other factors which determine skin colour is haemoglobin content of blood.Better the haemoglobin fair and pinker is the color.Give her the XXXXXXX leafy vegetables /jaggery/groundnuts which increase the haemoglobin.

Use exfoliating face wash like AHAGLO face wash for cleansing the face.Use cosglo cream at night which can make skin lighter slowly without any side effects.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Dear Sir
Can please give the brand name available in counter all the cream you have specified.
Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi again

Photoban aqua gel sunscreen by micro gratia.
COSGLO cream for night time use by CHC pharma.
AHAGLO face wash by torrent pharma.
These are the brand names and available over the counter.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 13 hours later
Sir Thank you very much.....
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later
If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.

Regards.