Is there any medication for alcohol addiction?

Posted on Tue, 18 Feb 2014 in Drug Abuse
Question: Iheard there is a med that helps the desire to stop drinking acholic
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes, Naltrexone & Acamprosate cause anti craving Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. Yes, there are various medications that can be used as anti craving against alcoholism & it includes - Naltrexone - Acamprosate These are approved by FDA & they act on mid brain receptors & ease in withdrawl & blunt craving. If these medications are taken along with nutritional support & proper counselling, it will surely help. Consult your physician before starting. Hope I answered your query Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist