Is there any harm in taking repetitive hepatitis A vaccine after 5 months?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: This is regarding vaccination of my baby.
His age is 16 months 22 days. I am really worried with his vaccination pattern.
Firstly his hepatitis A vaccine was given on 16 March 2015 so the due for the second dose according to the file was 16 September but the doctor administered this vaccine on 20 August 2015. So I am really worried was this correct or the doctor did the wrong thing.
Also, he has not gotten chicken pox vaccine also, doctor said it's optional, but I don’t think so it is optional. Kindly guide if it is compulsory can it be given now, he is 16 months 22 days and also hepatitis A is given on 20 Aug2015.
So just to summarize, Can chicken pox vaccine be given now and was the doctor right in giving the second dose so early.
Please HELP!!!
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chicken pox vaccine can be given now.

Detailed Answer:

Hi & Welcome to HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the dosing interval of hepatitis A vaccine.

As per the recommendation children ( 12-23 months of age) must receive two doses of hepatitis A vaccine, the second dose should be taken 6 months after the first dose. There is no harm in taking it after 5 months.

Chickenpox vaccine is very effective in preventing the disease.
The children should receive two doses of the vaccine 3 months apart.

Hope to have answered your query.

A follow-up query is welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 9 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

A bit relieved now. Just to follow up, what should be the gap between Hepatitis A and chicken pox vaccine. As you know, we have just yesterday gave him Hepatitis A Vaccine second dose, so what should be the gap. Also, since hepatitis A second dose was given early do we need to give it again at the right time?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The chicken pox vaccine can be given after one week.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Good morning.
Thanks for your reply.

The first dose of Chickenpox vaccine can be given after one week.
There is no harm in taking the second dose of hepatitis A vaccine after 5 months and no need to repeat the dose again.

Best regards.