question-icon

Is there any difference between Levoxyl and Synthroid. Have gained when changed from levoxyl to synthroid

Posted on Sat, 3 Aug 2013
Question: IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEVOXYL AND SYNTHROID. I GAINED 10 LBS. UPON CHANGING FROM LEVOXYL TO SYNTHROID.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (1 hour later)
No there is essentially none. They both are brand name versions of the medication called levothyroxine. So this should not cause weight gain. However it is advisable to adhere to one brand as much as possible because subtle variations are possible. The most important thing is to check levels when switching brands or going to generic. The blood test result gives a true picture of the thyroid status.

I understand there are recently some availability problems with levoxyl.

The following link may give you a better idea

WWW.WWWW.WW
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist