Is there any correlation between pre-eclampsia, HELLP syndrome and type 1 diabetes?

Posted on Mon, 19 Dec 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My wife has recently became a type 1 diabetic. She is 23 years old and was healthy until this. She has no family history of type 1 diabetes. She had severe preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome with our child during her pregnancy. What I am trying to find out is if the preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome caused her Diabetes. Also he blood pressure during 3rd trimester was always high (185/? on average). She also had severe edema. She started loosing vision in the left eye and she also had back pains as well. Please Help. Thank You
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
There is no corelation between pre eclampsia, HELLP syndrome and type 1 diabetes.
Having a mother who had history of pre eclampmsia is a risk factor for the child developing type 1 diabetes later on in life.
But not applicable to this scenario.
All the best.
PLease feel free to discuss further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN