Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Is there any complication if child swallowed thyronorm?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
Hi ,
My two year old son was playing with thyronom , and we suspect that he might have taken the tablet .
what would you suggest to do now , doctors in the hospital said that now it is not required to bring , unless he shows some problems like vomiting or tiredness.
can you pls kindly help .

Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

If there is a strong suspicion that he might have consumed few tablets then immediate medical attention is definitely necessary.

Did you find him chewing the tablets? Or some tablet powder in the mouth? It is highly unlikely that they swallow tablets at that age. So if they chew definitely some powder can be seen present in the mouth.

How many tablets were estimated to be there in the bottle? (With how many tablets the bottle was bought minus total consumed may be calculated easily)

How long it has been that he was found like that. (If it is more than few hours then stomach wash is not of much use)

How is he now? Is he playful and active or having any problems like vomiting etc.

Just count his heart/pulse rate. This will give a clue if he consumed or not. (This will be useful if some time is passed between consumption and now)

Please reply in detail.
Please make your home child proof.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is there any complication if child swallowed thyronorm? 17 hours later
Thanks much Doctor.
we are fortunate that no problems are seen and my son is fine now.

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 13 minutes later

Thank God that nothing has happened.

I also appreciate you for informing me of the same.

I request you to child proof the house.

Like take care of the electric plugs, door stoppers for doors, not leaving your child alone on a cot etc etc.

Prevention is always better than cure.

You may contact me regarding your baby on the following URL...........

I would be more than happy to help you.

Hope this helps.
Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor