question-icon

Is there any chiropractic treatment of ear infection for a child?

Posted on Thu, 7 Mar 2013
Question: is there any role for chiropractic treatment / manipulation in a 2 yr old with recurrent ear infections
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar (59 minutes later)
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Recurrent infection in the ear is secondary to the pathology in the nose such as adenoids, nasal allergy and recurrent nasal infection.

Unless the cause is treated the ear discharge will not subside.

My sincere advice to you is to consult a good child specialist or ENT specialist for a complete evaluation of the nose and the ear. Also, the child will require an x-ray of the nasopharynx to look for any enlarged adenoids.

If you delay and look for alternate treatment, the child may have to compromise normal hearing and will develop permanent perforation of the eardrum.

Meanwhile, you can try the following:
1. Give plenty of warm water for the child to drink
2. Avoid making the child sleep under the fan or in front of the air conditioner blower
3. Use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day to keep the nose clean and open up the Eustachian tube.
4. Avoid water getting into the ear
5. Do not use any ear buds to clean the ear

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist