Is there any alternative treatment available to get rid of cough and cold in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi doc my daughter is 3 months old.she is having cough n cold.i m giving her maxtra dtops .5 ml 3 times a day.is there anything else i can do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to be patient. Management is supportive.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern.

Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of antiallergic medication like Atarax (Hydroxyzine) or Maxtra drops, and saline nasal drops for blocked nose.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 50 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Usually the symptoms resolve in a week or so.

Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana