Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

197 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is there any alternate medication for Prednisolone?

Answered by
Dr. Ram Choudhary

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 2272 Questions

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is there an alternate medication for prednisone? The prednisone my father is taking (his body does not naturally produce it any more...diagnosed at Cedars Sinai (?) 5 years ago) is causing him slurred and delayed speech. It started about a year ago. He is extremely frustrated with this and I worry that we could not hear him if he called out as his voice is so soft now!
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
he needs to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Steroids have many adverse effects when taken for long. Prednisolone is also a steroid. You have not provided the reason for which steroid is needed for him.
Elderly people are very susceptible to hyponatremia that can cause altered consciousness level.
He may be having some other age related disease like Parkinson's or Alzheimer disease which commonly lead to low slurred voice.
Prednisolone is very unexpected drug to cause loss of voice.
I would like him to be reviewed by a local physician and he will be able to decide whether he can be switched to steroid tapering or sparing regimens.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Hyponatremia

doctor1 MD

I had an event about a week and a half ago. I apparently put my head in my hand, said oh no to my husband and then told him I didn t know where I was or why. We were camping in our RV so he took me to the ER. They did the blood and urine and a c scan of my head. The only findings were low sodium and potassium. I was taking two blood pressure meds, one with a diuretic. He took the diuretic out, said it might be hyponatremia. Came home, saw my Dr., had an MRI and havn t heard back yet. I have short term memory loss, headaches and a bad taste in my mouth.

doctor1 MD

Hi ! I'm visiting my wonderful 91 year old Mom. She has always been very active, hiking, backpacking, tennis, gardening 12 hours/day and took care of my Dad for 8 years from dementia . He died 4 years ago. She has an active mind and a voracious...

doctor1 MD

Hello. My father is 86 years old and very XXXXXXX Starting yesterday at Noon, he laid down and we couldn't get him up. He's been in bed no for 30 hours. Hasn't eaten or drank anything in that time period. He's gotten up a few times to pee. He said...

doctor1 MD

My sodium level has dropped since, I believe, I was prescribed neurontin for RLS . I take 5 pills per day - 3 every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime. My fantastic doctor can't figure out why. Any answers for me. Thank you, Alana XXXXXXX

doctor1 MD

My mother &77 yrs) has the problem as Hyponatremia & Gross Ascites; TB and malignancies were not detected. At present slight fever continues with abdominal swelling. CECT scan impressions revealed (a) Bilateral Plueral Effusion;      (b) Moderate Ascites; and (c) Mild contracted both kidneys . Her Uterus was removed in 1987 and was faced Australian Jaundice which was treated. In 2003 Urinary Bladder Tumour was operated which showed TCC Grade - 1. In 2011 Jan Urinary Bladder Tumour was angin grew and operated which showed TCC Grade - 1 and after this operation she was given Niftran. She used to take Amlovas AT regularly for her high BP. Recently after hospitalization she was treated for Na balance with 3% Na infusion. Her Haemoglobin (gm/dl) is 8,5. Please tell what disease is she suffering from.

doctor1 MD

MY wife had been operated for Rt breast cancer about 3 yrs back. treated with Chemotheraoy & radiation. Got it OK. But since this year a growth near her chest wall between the throat. Traeted with Palliative chemotherapy 3 doses Not much effect. Treated with Local radiation 90% effective started on oral chemotherapy Capecitabine 500mg 3+3 Morning +eveneing for 14 days, A reaction occured getting loose motions, which could not be controlled with Medicines even after 15 days- Weakness occured Soium & Pottasium very low, had to be hospitalised for 7 days with Drip of sodium & Potassium+ other medicines. Problem arose since hospitalisation Normal urine could not be passed. Had to be catheterised. After every week catheter was removed & tried to get normal urine passage but had to be Catheterised. Got a URODYNAMIC Test done: Comments and Findings :- Regional Neurological examination S2 -S4. Sensation are present; Anal tone is Normal; Voluntary contraction of the SPHINCTER is Absent; Bulbocavernosus Reflex is Present; Blader Capacity is Large - 400 ml.; Proprioception is delayed; Compliance is high; Detrusor is Acontracile; SPHINCTER is coordinated relaxing during attempts at voiding volitional activity is absent; Urethral closure mechanism is normal;Recovery in detrusor function is anticipated. Dr. opined that her Bladder wall muscles have become weak, may be due to the Hyponatremia she had undergone and that with time it should get normal. after 15 days again tried it out but urine could not be passed. Gave her Injection Ciflotaxim 1gm. intravenous. Even after 15 minutes Normal urine could not be passed had to be catherised for one month Now Given Pills for Infection Ciplofloxin 500mg for 5 days 2 times a day. Then Ciplofloxin 250 mg. for 25 days 1 a day.Today her testd are Normal Sodium:139’ Pottasium:4.8; Chloride:101; RBC Heamoglobin & WBC are Normal. Urine report states Puss cells : 40-45 hpf Red Cells 10-12hpf all other parameters are normal. WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO RESTORE NORMAL PASSAGE OF URINE?

doctor1 MD

what fruits can a person eat with congestive heart dieasae. low sodium and may hav diabeatic. with congestive heart, low sodium