Is there any alternate medication for Prednisolone?

Question
Is there an alternate medication for prednisone? The prednisone my father is taking (his body does not naturally produce it any more...diagnosed at Cedars Sinai (?) 5 years ago) is causing him slurred and delayed speech. It started about a year ago. He is extremely frustrated with this and I worry that we could not hear him if he called out as his voice is so soft now!
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
he needs to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Steroids have many adverse effects when taken for long. Prednisolone is also a steroid. You have not provided the reason for which steroid is needed for him.
Elderly people are very susceptible to hyponatremia that can cause altered consciousness level.
He may be having some other age related disease like Parkinson's or Alzheimer disease which commonly lead to low slurred voice.
Prednisolone is very unexpected drug to cause loss of voice.
I would like him to be reviewed by a local physician and he will be able to decide whether he can be switched to steroid tapering or sparing regimens.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!