Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Is there any OTC drug for reducing blood glucose levels?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4858 Questions
I would like to know whether there any OTC drugs that have been shown to lower blood glucose levels in clinical trials. That is with some evidence behind them, not just marketing hype.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following OTC drugs for diabetics.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually, the OTC drugs contain the extracts of many herbs for which studies have shown efficacy in lowering blood sugar. Please bare in mind that the gold standard of treating patients with slightly elevated blood glucose as you is to make changes in your lifestyle and diet regimen. Apart of these changes, herbal supplementation such as OTC drugs can also help: - Fenugreek - Gymnema sylvestre - Ceylon cinnamon - Bitter melon - and many other vitamins and minerals diabetics lack (such as Zn, Mg, Calcium, Vit.D, etc.) You may found some research at: WWW.WWWW.WW Please do not expect miracles from these OTC drugs. If correctly used with the right dose, they might help improve glucose metabolism, resulting in better secretion of insulin and improved utilization of glucose. Hope it was of help! Dr.Alba
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor