Is there ant treatment for color blindness?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 5 Jan 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Do you have any treatment for colour blind s?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no definitive treatment for color blindness.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care Magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

There is no definitive treatment as of now which is available to cure color blindness.
Congenital color blindness is because of genetic problem and gene therapy is still in experimental stage and once it is available it can become boon for those with color blind.
Acquired color blindness as seen in diseases of the optic nerve can be treated by treating the cause.

As of now the treatment options are use of color filters or glasses to enhance the color contrast and help in better appreciation of the colors by differentiating them.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Do write back to me for further questions.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 21 hours later
sir can I see the colour blind test plats useing by any content lenses?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You cannot see the color blind test plates.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up.

It is not possible to see the test plates which are used to test the color blindness.
These are designed in such a way that only individuals with normal color vision can read them correctly and those with specific color blindness will read them wrong.
Contact lenses or any other lenses will not be of help in color blindness.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 56 minutes later
i am a colour blind person how can I see the colour blind test plats there is no treatment in science how can it's possible?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gene therapy is the only hope.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

I can understand your concern. As of now there is no treatment available for treatment of color blindness.
It is basically a genetic problem and treatment requires replacing the genes. But not much progress has been achieved in this. Hence many of the genetic problems including color blindness are without cure as of today.
Recent research activities appears to be fruitful and sooner some hope can be found out.

A color blind person depending on his or her blindness he can read partly or may not read the test plates. Basically there are three primary colors red, green and blue. A person who is blind in all the three colors will not be able yo read the chart, whereas one with involvement of one or two colors can read few charts but usually he will read them wrong.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad