Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Is there an operation to correct deformed nails?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
Hi ! I used acrylic nails for years, and a lot of the time when i could not remove my thumbnail acrylics, i pulled them off.. Then my natural thumb nails became severely (horizontal) ridged, and grow deformed.. I'm wondering, if there is such a treatment or operation to correct them, so that they will grow more normal?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 57 minutes later

Thank you for the query,

Since it is a post traumatic nail which is growing deformed with structural changes, there are only two things which I can suggest here :

1) Wait and watch ,and let it grow as it is ,so that gradually a new and good nail come out.
2) get a nail avulsion done ,but without destroying the nail matrix.So that a new nail comes fresh & healthy.

I would suggest you to consult a surgeon or a dermatologist for the same.

I hope this answers your query,if you have any further questions ,kindly write back to us .


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor