Is there an approved generic drug to Lupron depot?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Dr. Raju; Had an unbelievable experience!!!!. Was diagnosed with mestatic prostate cancer o/a 15 July. On 25 July Dr called and said they had misdiagnosed. The spots on my bone scan were actually arthritis and a previous cracked rib. Hard to belive but they did some more cat scans and now an MRI and confirmed. So instead of going into treatment (chemo) they gavfe me ashot 225 mg of Lupron and recheck in 3 months. Does this sound reasonable????????? Also cancer center billed me $6200 for the shot. Insurance is agreeing to pay $3000. I see on internet that there is now a generic that only costs around $600. What do you think
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The shot is reasonable but the cost

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Thats a good step in giving the shot and revising the diagnosis with better scans. This is very common occurrence where the bone lesions can be missed or wrongly diagnosed as bone metastasis are very common with prostate cancer.

Lupron is good for prostate. But the cost you paid is unbelievable. This can only be better dealt by the hospital you got the shot in.

regards,
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 50 minutes later
Follow Up 1) I am trying to confirm if there is an approved generic drug to the Lupron Depot 22.5 mg but unable too - Can yo confirm?

2) My doctor says I have nothing to worry about now since all ct scans and MRI's are "clean" and that he expects to still be treating me 15-20 years from now-- yet prescribes Lupron Depot 225 mg. His prognosis is that the three treatments should run my psa down to 0.00 (currently 2.8) Lupron literature states that Lupron Depot is for treatment of advanced prostate cancer. Should I believe that the Lupron shots are "preventive" rather than curing?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes,

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Yes, there is a approved generic drug to Lupron depot. Eligard is an example for another such brand.

Yes, lupron injections could be considered preventive.

regards,