Is there a need to scan for fibroid that was present during pregnancy?

Question
I got pregnant with my first child one and a half years back..I didn't have any fibroids before that but during 3rd month of pregnancy i developed 2 fibroids..each 2 cm..then 5th month it grew further into 5 cm and 4cm each but no discomfort or pain was there..then placenta calcified and Doctor did cesarean when i was 8 months pregnant and I gave birth to a healthy child.

Then doctor said as delivery is over now..fibroid will shrink really small and almost disappear..and it wont bother me or my health and body in anyway..so she said its not a must to scan the uterus..so I never bothered to scan and I dont have pains or discomfort..I have normal painless menstrual cycle and flat stomach..has the fibroid shrunk ? will it cause any problem in future ? is it necessary to perform a scan to check it ?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need to get a repeat scan

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
The size of the fibroids you had in 5th month was not much and it is the tendency of fibroids to shrink in size after pregnancy is over because of withdrawal of hormones.
So they must have regressed to minimal sizes by now and especially if you are not getting heavy periods or any abdominal discomfort then there is no need to have a repeat scan.
But in case you have excessive amount of bleeding during periods or spotting in between periods then it is important to have a scan and see if that all is because of fibroids.
All the best

Follow-up: Is there a need to scan for fibroid that was present during pregnancy? 15 hours later
Thanks a lot dear doctor..I have been breastfeeding and also exercising and i read these control estrogen.. and fibriods will shrink much faster..is this true ?

Also is there a chance that they will grow back in future or cause problems ?

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
future growth is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

You are right that lactation and exercise increase basal metabolic rate so causes early degradation of estrogen and thus will eventually decrease the size of fibroid which had increased in pregnancy.

But in future they can increase in size so in case you start having heavy periods or excessive pain during periods then get an ultrasound done and see for the size of fibroids.

In case you have other questions in future you can contact me directly on http://bit.ly/drmanishajain