Is there a natural substitute for Valsartan/ Hctz tablets?

Dr. Achuo Ascensius

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is there a natural substitute for Valsartan/Hctz Tabs (320/25)?
BP is consistently at 122/72, BPH82
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Am afraid there isn't

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the query

Given that your BP is consistently at 122/72mmHg which is normal raises two possibilities;
-the first is that if you are hypertensive then the drugs are working well and thus your hypertension is controlled

-the second possibility is that you are not hypertensive

A person is considered hypertensive when his/her blood pressure values are consistently greater than or equal to 140/90mmHg on several occasions. At the time of measuring the BP, the person should have rested and should not be stressed up. It is normal for some people to experience the white coat syndrome in which at the hospital their BP values are elevated but then they are not hypertensive.

122/72mmHg is a good and very healthy BP value. If your initial BP values where similar, then you ought not to have been put on antihypertensive drugs unless there was some other associated condition such as heart failure or a stroke. However, if your initial BP values were above or equal to 140/90mmHg then it implies your hypertension is being controlled and you should continue your medication.

Non pharmacological measures to reduce blood pressure exists but there do not replace medications for individuals who have qualified to take antihypertensive medications. Such measures include exercises, loosing weight and avoiding sedentary life styles.

You might consider to meet your Doctor for a review.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.

Best regards
Dr Achuo
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T