Is there a form of potassium which will not aggravate my ulcers?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have ulcers but I'm also in need of potassium because I'm doing foot clean sings to help what the die off of Lyme disease and the bad bacteria. But I here that potassium irritates ulcers. Is there a form of potassium that would not aggravate my ulcers ?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, it is true that potassium can cause ulcers in the stomach or intestines. It can also contribute to further irritation. In your case, if I was your treating doctor would suggest to use potassium as liquid or efferfescent forms to reduce such irritation. So, you can dilute them in a glass of water to minimize the bad side effects on ulcer. In addition,I strongly suggest to continue your medications for ulcer, such as omeprazole or pantoprazole or esomeprazole to get your stomach protected. At last, you should also follow a strict diet regimen too. Hope it answered to your inquiry! If you have more concerns, please write them back to me. Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E