Is there a diet for sjogren syndrome?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Lupus
Question: I have recently been diagnosed with sjogrens..early stage. Is there a diet that would help me?
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: not specific Detailed Answer: Hi, I m dr XXXXXXX rheumatologist, pleased to answer your queries There is no specific food for sjogren syndrome But patient is advised to use sunglasses, avoid dry environment, use artificial saliva and artificial tear drops if required Hope this will help If you have further queries, please do not hesitate --Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Thank you so very much for your prompt response to my question. My second question is...I had a lip culture, blood tests, and all came back negative..nothing showed up in the tissue or blood work to prove sjogren syndrome; however, because of my symptoms three different drs. said they were so sure I had it that they felt I should start treatment. I am taking plaquenil 200mgs one per day, and evoxac 30 mg capsule 3 times a day IF needed (which I don't need that much). Fatigue, dry eyes, dry skin, brittle nails, dry hair, hoarseness, sore throat, are my big issues at the present time. Tks. for responding.
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 4 hours later
Brief Answer: NEED FURTHER DETAIL Detailed Answer: Hi lip culture? this is not indicated in Sjogren can you please tell me -- what investigations was done? History of dry mouth and dry eye as well as biopsy of salivary and tear gland are required some immunological test like SSA and SSB is also required to make this diagnosis. Please provide more details...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alokkalyani 3 hours later
I don't know the name of the test I had, but it was done by an ear, nose and throat dr. He performed a biopsy at the base of my gum/lip (not culture as I indicated earlier). He was definitely checking the saliva glands. He also checked my blood for autoimmune disease, as my primary care has done. The saliva biopsy came back negative. As did the blood work. However, ENT dr sent me to a rheumatologist who saId I have S ojgren syndrome. He has not mentioned doing any further TEST. He said it could be n early stage. My dr eyes r very dry. The eye dr mentioned putting plugs n my eyes but I have not done it because I didn't understand enough about it to do it
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: doubtful Detailed Answer: Hi So you have dry eyes and dry mouth only, but no positive test. For dry eyes, there are numerous causes- many medications, smoking, diabetes, thyroid disorder, hepatitis C, Sarcoidosis, any local eye or oral diseases etc. to make a diagnosis of Sjogren syndrome, one need to have at least 4 out of these 6 parameters-- 1.dry eyes, 2.dry mouth, 3.positive Schirmer/Bengal test 4.positive biopsy 5.positive immunological blood test 6.enlarge salivary gland with decrease salivary flow (tested by a physician) If you are saying that all the tests are negative and there are only dry eyes and mouth - than it cannot be Sjogren. Please confirm again. Dr Alok
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj