Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is there a cheaper alternative for "Concerta"?

Answered by
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 3614 Questions

Posted on Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in General Health
Question: My son has been taking 72 mg of Concerta for years. My husband recently switched employers and our new insurance does not cover this medication. It will cost us $1300.00 for a 90 day supply. Are you aware of an alternative medication that he can take that is not so expensive?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Alternatives provided Detailed Answer: Good Day XXXX Thank you for asking . My name is Dr S XXXXXXX and i would like to help you with alternative to this issue of concerta for your son's ADHD and asperger's. XXXX i want you to know that concerta has Methylphenidate in it which is a stimulant drug. If the concerta is not on the list there are maany alternatives for same generic name with different brand. these are Ritalin, Ritalin SR, Ritalin LA, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Quillivant XR. There are many other stimulants drugs used for ADHD like Dextroamphetamine and amphetamine mixture (Adderall),Dexmethylphenidate (Focalin, Focalin XR),Methylphenidate transdermal patch (Daytrana),Lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse),Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine, Dexedrine Spansules, Dextrostat) etc. If the issue still persists then there are many other options to treat ADHD with like SNRIs (Atomoxetine -Strattera) or Alpha2-adrenergic Agonists (Guanfacine -Intuniv,Clonidine -Kapvay ) or Antidepressants (Imipramine -Tofranil,Bupropion -Wellbutrin, Desipramine -Norpramin) etc. So Discuss these options with your son's doctor and let him decide one best for your son with simultaneous coverage by insurance. Hope XXXX his answer finds you in good health. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask , i would love to answer. Otherwise please close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Have a very good day and take some very good care of your son. Regards Dr S XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Desipramine

doctor1 MD

I have bad scaling on both legs from diabetes also itching, pain and bleeding is also a big problem,how can i treat this?

doctor1 MD

I started taking a low dose of effexor xr last week (half of a 37.5 mg capsule). It puts me lifts my mood and anxiety a little bit but seems to put...

doctor1 MD

I was prescribed 10mg Imipramine a week ago and have felt awful so have stopped taking them. I had dizziness , fatigue , sweating and depressed....