Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Is there a blood test to detect cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
Is there a blood test to detect cancer?
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No. Complete Blood count will be only one in list.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Assuming you are looking for a mammogram, breast ultrasound, biopsy, MRI are the most likely ones to confirm the presence of cancer and type. Others like bone scan, CT, PET, Blood counts will be done to ascertain the staging if it is.

Hence, a single blood test for counts will not be enough.

Another test for gene mutation BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 is done only for those with definite family history and selected patients and not as routine as above.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet, MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor