Is there a blood test for gout?
There is no good blood test for gout.
Thank you for the query.
Gout is an issue caused by uric acid accumulation in joints. This usually causes sudden pain in one or more joints. It is usually big toe joint. Redness and swelling of such joint are very characteristic.
Uric acid increased level can be detected in case of gout. But elevated level of uric acid does not confirm gout. Moreover low uric acid level does not rule it out. So nowadays, it is thought that measuring uric acid to detect gout is pointless.
The only test which can confirm gout is affected joint biopsy. In case of gout, there should be seen uric acid crystals in joint fluid.
So we do not have good blood test for gout.
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nausea and hunger after eating, waking up at night hungry, urge to...
- Pain inside anus during bowel movement. Is Xyloproct or preparation H...
- Bad odor in belly button, red substance inside, oozing pus
- Pain in front of arm and at wrist under thumb, swelling and throbbing....
- Chest tightness when walking, upper back discomfort, heartburn, no...
- Lump in chest, painful, have pain in ribs and lower back
- Done hernia repair in belly button, have cramp on right side,...
- Frostbite wound on chest from blister freezer. Itching and peeling off....
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do?
- Is triple action viriliy purchase thru new vitality safe?