Is the white patch in the back of the throat a sign of oral cancer or something else?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 23 Aug 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I noticed this white patch in the back of my throat! What is this? A sign of oral cancer? It does not hurt. I can't get into my dentist for 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello

This is not the most common reason for the white patch in the throat. In the majority of persons it is related to infection of the throat/sinuses or stones in the throat or allergies with post nasal drip of mucus.

Oral cancer is more common in older persons with a long term history of smoking or abusing alcohol. The average age of diagnosis is age 62.

The image sent does not show any alarming areas

If you remain unsure then you can consider seeing your ENT specialist who can assess you thoroughly.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care,
Dr. Michelle Gibson James