Is the white discharge on penis an infection?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My husband has a white discharge on his penis

He says there is no pain or itch or smell

What can it be and can we have intercourse
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be STI

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

You may be having sexually transmitted infection either chlamidya or gonorrhoea.

You requies urethral swab test and urine analysis to find out chlamidya and gonhorrea infection.

I would suggest you not to indulge in sexual act until you get the lab report. As these infections can be transmitted to your partner.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 8 hours later
We have been married for 10 years. I dont have any such symptoms. So how can this be a STI?

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
STI is possible

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up query,

Sexually transmitted infections like chlamidya and gonococci are the normal comensals of the genital system, which will remain dormant for may years and it will be kept under control by the helpful organisms.

Whenever there is a change in genital environment like urinary tract infection, other bacterial infection and alkaline urine will predisposes to multiplication of these organisms and produces the symptoms like white discharge, pain and burning micturation.

When they are active it can be transmitted to the partners through sexual contact.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju