Is the swelling at the back of head sign of brain tumor?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I am suffering from a swelling at the back of my head. I also have my left eye more protruded than the right. moreover I have pain on the entire left side of the skull. also there is significant hair loss on the left side of the head. is these the sign of brain tumor. I have been diagnosed as suffering from hair root infection.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
sinusitis or glaucoma or rarely any tumor.

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

These are not the typical signs of brain tumor and brain tumor occurrence is very rare. So be relaxed and not to worry much about brain tumor.

One sided head ache with feeling of slight protrusion of same side eye ball needs evaluation. This may be due to sinusitis or due to glaucoma or rarely any tumor.

So to ruleout the possibilities and for diagnosis better to get evaluated for sinusitis, glaucoma and other local causes. Sinusitis specially frontal sinusitis presents in the same way. It can be relieved with NSAID like aceclofenac with serratiopeptidase. Steam inhalation will give good comfort. Glaucoma, there will be raised intra ocular pressure and presents with eye pain, watering and protrusion. Needs to check for intra ocular tension to rule out this by an opthalmologist. And for any other possibilities better to get done CT scan of head/ brain.

For now continue drugs for hair infection and take NSAID like Ibuprofen or aceclofenac for pain with steam inhalation.

I hope this information helps you and answered your concern. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Lohit K 11 hours later
Well the ophthalmologist has ruled out glaucoma but the physician feels my left eye is protruded. How do you diagnose sinusitis? What do you conclude the reason for the pain and eye protrusion considering that the vision only in the left eye is appearing like double vision at times?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:

with unilateral eye pain, protruding eye and feeling double vision at times needs to be investigated by scanning. Better to get done CT SCAN. This will tell the cause for your problem. Protrusion of eye is responsible for eye pain and also double vision.

Sinusitis can cause eye pain along with unilateral head ache. But double vision and protrusion will not be there.

Also you should get done retinoscopy by an ophthalmologist. Retinoscopy will tell if any problem in retina or any problem in the eye ball.

So in summary you need to get investigated with CT brain and retinoscopy. With this report the management caj be decided.

I hope this information answers your concern and is helpful.
Wish you good health.