Is the stress thallium test more reliable than angiography?
My Father(age 47) just had angiography test which shows blockage in 3 arteries - 90%(main artery), 70%, 60%. Now he has also gone through stress Thallium test which shows the report Normal.
I am confused whom to trust. Which test is more reliable and trustworthy - Angiography or stress Thallium?
Angiography is more reliable than stress thallium test
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.
To make you understand better I will try to highlight the little difference between both the procedures
Angiography is used to visualize the anatomy of the blood vessels like inside, or lumen (inner passageways) of blood vessels and heart to see the blood flow into the coronaries.
While Stress Thallium tests provide a view to see if the Thallium (a radionuclide) which has been injected in blood, is taken up by heart muscle cells (which is normal) or if there is a portion of the heart that does not take it up, this suggests either a prior heart attack (if at rest); or if during the stress portion of the test, this suggests compromise in the blood flow, which means a narrowing in one or more arteries
Stress tests does not detect clearly atherosclerosis, a condition which mainly produces wall thickening and plaque formation inside arteries leading to a blockage.
Your father has blockage but blood supply and pumping action of the heart is maintained
his risk of heart attack can not be ruled out.
please consult a cardiologist for further course of action
Hope this answers your question. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.
Wishing you good health
Dr BR Hudda
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Persantine thallium stress test
- Persantine thallium cardiac stress test
- Thallium stress test
- Abnormal thallium stress test
- Thallium stress test cpt
- Cpt adenosine thallium stress test
- Thallium stress test results interpretation
- Thallium stress test side effects
- Dipyridamole thallium stress test
- Which is better coronary angiography or thallium stress test
- What causes intermittent severe stomach pain?
- What causes stinging pain in chest radiating towards waist during...
- What causes constant heart palpitations?
- What causes cold sensation of body in a person with hypothyroidism?
- Suggest remedy for itching under upper legs
- Suggest treatment for increased BP,bulemia and breathing difficulty
- Suggest treatment for rash on back with shingles and blisters
- Suggest treatment for positive TMT test result
- Is the stress thallium test more reliable than angiography?
- Suggest treatment for chest pain and palpitations after aortic...