Is the result of home pregnancy test dependable?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Fri, 24 Oct 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I did a home pregnancy test yesterday and it was positive. I got scared and did a 2nd one which was also positive. So I bought 2 more of a different product and checked again at different times still yesterday and both came out negative. Meaning I had 2 positive and 2 negative results on the same day yesterday. What are the chances I'm pregnant? Could it be 2 false positives or 2 fslse negatives? Please help ASAP, I cant have a baby now its too much for me
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult to say,run Blood HCG test to confirm...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

You are saying you took 4 tests, and they came out 2 positives and 2 negatives. Measuring blood HCG level will determine whether you are pregnant or not. You should recall when was the last time when you had unprotected sex.

Now,:
- you took postinor 2 yesterday. If you did have intercourse the other day, taking postinor 2 within the first 24 hours will protect 95% from an unwanted pregnancy. If this is your case, there is no chance for pregnancy.

- postinor 2 or any other medication won't effect the test. Unless you are taking medications containing HCG as their principle ingredient. The urine pregnancy test detects the presence of HCG in urine. If the test is run in the morning, the concentration of this hormone in urine is the highest, so, the accuracy of the test is high too.

At last, you should run blood HCG test to exclude pregnancy.

Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
No, I didnt take the postinol because I felt it would affect me after seeing the positive result. I didn't have unprotected sex, we used a condom but seeing the positive result makes me think there might have been a hole on the cd because he came inside me (still wearing the cd anyway). The tests were two products, 1 from USA and the other from China. The one from USA gave me the positives while the one from China gave me the negatives and none was expired. so I don't know if one product was more sensitive or just bad
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably the products were bad...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

If you did not have unprotected sex, and your periods are normal, then, there is no fear for pregnancy. I advise to wait for your periods to come in if they haven't come yet. If no periods, then, take blood HCG testing at 10th day after your due date for reassurance.

Most probably, the products you took were bad. There are some products that are saying Made in USA, but, they might be manufactured in Asia (China, or Thailand) for that particular company. Sometimes, it happens to get bad products.

All the best!
Dr.Albana