Is the measles rubella vaccination required for a 8 year old child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: hi ,
my daughter(8 y) got MMR injection when she was 3 y old. XXXXXXX gov giving measles/rubella in all schools now a days . should be give to our daughter again ?
could you please advise?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go ahead - but not needed if 2 doses of MMR is already given

Detailed Answer:
Hi....

I understand your concern. In fact there are a lot of rumours roaming around in social media regarding this. I suggest you to go ahead with the vaccination as you say that your daughter has received only one dose of MMR. But if she has already received two doses of MMR, then this MR vaccine is not required. But even then if you prefer to give it, you can give it. This MR vaccine will act as a booster dose and increase the immunity.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj