Is the light brown discharge that lasted a few days period?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi my periods are 10 days late However a few days before my due date I had a bit of light brown discharge that lasted a few days. My periods are never late and I feel dizzy and have mild cramps but I keep thinking ita my periods but its not I have been feeling exhausted latley.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Light brown discharge is period

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Welcome to healthcare magic.

Sometimes periods are too less in flow and duration. They appear as just small drop, light brown discharge etc.

This happens because of minor hormonal changes and little endometrial shedding.

Therefore what you experienced few days before your due date was your period.

If you are suspecting pregnancy you can get serum beta hCG blood test done to confirm pregnancy.

I hope your doubt is cleared.

Dr. Soumya
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
I have never ever had this before my periods run like clockwork every month with the same flow and duration of period. I havent changed anything from my eating habits to weight gain and im not stessed. my body does not feel right and ive not experienced that
Answered by Dr. Soumya 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Endometrial thickness

Detailed Answer:

Eventhough all factors being constant, the endometrial thickness growth vaires few times significantly. The endometial tissue is the one which comes out with blood each cycle.

If endometrial growth is decreased in a cycle, the spotting would be less like brown discharge for you. this endometrial thickness variation due to minor hormonal variations is normal and not avoidable. But this is temporary.

Dont worry about it. You will be fine in next cycle.

Apart from this , let me know if you are suspecting pregnancy so that you can perform a pregnancy test. If no pregnancy is suspected there is no onther reason.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D