Is the irritating sore on penis herpes or syphilis?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am afraid I have an std such as herpes or syphilis. I woke up this morning and noticed a small sore on my penis. It is irritating to the touch. I attached photos. What do you think this could be?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lesions looks like GenitalHerpes simplex infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
This time the pictures sent by you reveals multiple grouped lesions on a erythematous base over genitals and more localized. This is likely to be due to Herpes lesions. It is definitely not fit with Syphilis. Herpes type 1 infection on genitals, is more common with oral sex,as I told you earlier. You had protected vaginal sex. So HIV/Syphilis are unlikely.
Nothing to worry. Herpes easily treatable, not a life threatening one. Recurrence is the nuisance. Otherwise nothing to bother about.
DR S.,Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 6 minutes later
These photos i took are from today. I have had unprotected sex within the last year. I thought herpes came more in the form of a cluster of blisters? This one was not in a group. Just a single sore. I dont remember seeing a blister. I just woke up abd saw this cut on the penis and it does not look normal
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More likely to be Herpes simplex infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Blisters might be missed to be seen.
I am able to see there are multiple tiny spots ( grouped ulcers) over an inflamed area.It is no doubt to be a Herpes simplex lesions as I have seen lot of cases without blisters in my 30 Years of STD practice.
Consult your Dermatologist. He will give appropriate anti-viral drugs. Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan