Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

145 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is the irritating sore on penis herpes or syphilis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2742 Questions
I am afraid I have an std such as herpes or syphilis. I woke up this morning and noticed a small sore on my penis. It is irritating to the touch. I attached photos. What do you think this could be?
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lesions looks like GenitalHerpes simplex infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
This time the pictures sent by you reveals multiple grouped lesions on a erythematous base over genitals and more localized. This is likely to be due to Herpes lesions. It is definitely not fit with Syphilis. Herpes type 1 infection on genitals, is more common with oral sex,as I told you earlier. You had protected vaginal sex. So HIV/Syphilis are unlikely.
Nothing to worry. Herpes easily treatable, not a life threatening one. Recurrence is the nuisance. Otherwise nothing to bother about.
DR S.,Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is the irritating sore on penis herpes or syphilis? 6 minutes later
These photos i took are from today. I have had unprotected sex within the last year. I thought herpes came more in the form of a cluster of blisters? This one was not in a group. Just a single sore. I dont remember seeing a blister. I just woke up abd saw this cut on the penis and it does not look normal
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More likely to be Herpes simplex infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome once again.

Blisters might be missed to be seen.
I am able to see there are multiple tiny spots ( grouped ulcers) over an inflamed area.It is no doubt to be a Herpes simplex lesions as I have seen lot of cases without blisters in my 30 Years of STD practice.
Consult your Dermatologist. He will give appropriate anti-viral drugs. Get well soon.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases