Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

Is the foul smell and burning sensation in my penis due to a STD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I am a graduate and come from a respectable family. I am 32 years old now.During my school days(around 15-20 years back) i was sexually abused,ragged and forced to hve sex with 3or4 boys.
Now for the past 3-4 years i get a foul smell,burning
sensation in my penis, frequent fever cough and cold,
backpain. Apart from sexually abused, i hve never had sex or done anything wrong.
i underwent hiv 1 and 2(tests done in a gap of 1 year) in a private hospital which turned out to be negative....
I also underwent test for VDRL twice which is also negative.i underwent test for URINE, SUGAR, TB-PCR, CULTURE TB MGIT which are all negative.
Apart from these tests i also underwent test for VITAMIN B12.......which is 120 (214-900 normal requirement)
i still hve foul smell(i dont know it is from penis or anal), burning in urine, backpain,leg burning, hand & leg cramp......
Do i have any STD Like gonorrhea or chlamydia or is it due to vitamin b12 deficieny.
Whether vdrl test is sufficient to detect all STD's or should i undergo any other STD test..
I want to get rid of this foul i cant socialize with anyone.....people still say that i hve
AIDS or i hve done something wrong......Coz of the smell.
Plse help me....
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 46 minutes later
First let me make some points clear.
1.You have tested negative HIV and other stds.Your unfortunate incident took place 15 yrs ago.If Hiv was positive,it would have shown up in the test by now.
Other stds can be ruled out of you were tested and came up negative also,esp since you claim to not have had any other sexual encounter since that day.
2.This problem started 3-4 yrs ago.No std will manifest so late after several years except HIV which is negative.
3.You could be having a prostatitis or urethritis etc.
4.You need to take a swab of the penile discharge and send for examination.You also need a urine test/stool test.You will need antibiotics for that.
The other symptoms can be due to vitamin deficiency.

You should seek medical attention.Get a urine test,swab culture of the discharge,Complete blood count done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is the foul smell and burning sensation in my penis due to a STD? 12 hours later
Thank u doctor for replying to a downtrodden like me....
I have undergone stool , complete blood count and urine routine examination 6 months back which turned out to be in normal range.
Also i want to know whom should i consult........std specialist or Dermatologist or General practioner or urologist........etc..
Also whether vdrl test is sufficient to detect all STD'S......
Should i once again undergo watever tests tat u hve mentioned or only the swab culture..
i am deeply worried....almost 2 years i have been undergoing test but my symptoms remain as it is.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Thanks for the query,

Have you ever been examined by a doctor and allowed him to examine you.

If yes, he would have detected any external problem, if at all present.

A per-rectal examination (the doctor, wearing a glove, inserts his fingers, usually the first two, inside your rectum and feels around for any lumps or other problems) would also be needed.

If there is no problem there, I suggest you to take a course of Cefuroxime and Metronidazole (you would have to consult a doctor for brand names and doses - off line) for a total of 6-10 days.

Another valuable test would be to go for a pelvic ultrasound and a urine culture and a stool culture (anaerobic culture is advisable).

Your symptoms are NOT due to Vit B12 deficiency.

The VDRL test only detects one of the STD's. Clinical examination and other tests are needed, including a urine routine and culture for the other STD's.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is the foul smell and burning sensation in my penis due to a STD? 2 days later
Yes i was examined but no any external problem.
A pre rectal examination was done and also no problem.
Can u suggest me a brand name of Cefuroxime and Metronidazole.
Also do u know any good and confidential doctor who can suggest these things.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 hours later

Thanks again.

First I apologise for the delay in answering to your question.

If all the examination and tests were done and have been negative, then it is very, very unlikely that we are dealing with a serious sexually transmitted infection here.

You may repeat the urine test, complete blood counts and swab test to rule out STD genital infection.

Cefuroxime is commonly available in India in the name of 'ceftum'. While metronidazole is available as 'metrogyl' or 'flagyl'. It is ideal that these antibiotics are started after taking the samples for the test. Hence I recommend you to consult your primary doctor, get the test done and take these medications under their guidance.

As far as good doctor's is concerned, you could consult one of the urologist. I do not have any personal referrence of Urologist practising at Mumbai. But we doctor's keep the confidentiality safe amongst our patients. So do not worry about confidentiality.

Hope I have answered all your query adequately.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is the foul smell and burning sensation in my penis due to a STD? 26 days later
Hello doctor,
As per ur suggestion i underwent CBC, Urine and stool Culture and pelvis ultrasound..
CBC and pelvis ultrasound(ultrasonagraphy of kidneys,bladder and prostate)
(prostate and kidneys are normal) has turned out to be normal.

Heres a brief summary of urine n stool culture:

urine culture: also is normal...(pus cells-0-1/hpf, blood agar and macconkey's agar-no growth.

Stool culture:Blood agar-few pale non hemolytic colonies are grown
MacConkey's agar:Many pink lactose fermenting colonies are grown.
Gram Stain:Gram negative bacilli are seen
Organism: E.Coli
Note:Pathogenic organisms are not seen.

i am totally confused now....i only have symtoms of urine burning n foul smell, sole told u before....but in the report ecoli in stool has been i dont hve any diaorrhea......
Plse tell me wat to do now and should i also undergo swab test as told by u earlier..
the local doctor whom i consulted told me its not a necessity as there's no blood in urine or stool.
i also want to know the symtoms of urine burning n foul smell is due to ecoli....or whether this test done is not proper...

Plse advice me wat to do and also if possible any medicine to be taken....
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 20 hours later
Hi again,

"Please get the swab test both microscopy and culture test done if symptoms persist".

You need to start antibiotics after getting culture and sensitivity test. The choice of antibiotic will be based on the culture reports. The stool test finding is incidental.

I encourage you to see a urologist for the above test and prescription of antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor