Is the HSV test done after 9 weeks of exposure conclusive?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello doctor
This is XXXXXXXX and as per your advice last time you clarified through the same portal I had given my blood samples for hsv testing both the types both igg and igm . The centre did the testing through cLia method and I have attached reports please let m elbow whether the method for testing is fine or I should repeat the test using Elisa method and also the test was done around nine weeks since the suspected exposure is the time frame enough or I should repeat the test after sometime . Also I have attached few pics of my lower and upper lips please let me know whether they are ok as some times I am experiencing peeling of lips
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding herpes testing

Detailed Answer:

I have viewed the attachments and images. CLIA OR CHEMILUMINESCENT IMMUNO ASSAY is a variation of ELISA. Both are based on the same principle.
Your test is non reactive. Most of the newly infected individuals will have reactive antibodies by 4 weeks (IgM and/or IgG), however, a few may have a slightly delayed antibody response and may not develop IgG till 12th week even though IgM may disappear after the first 6-8 weeks. So it is advisable to do a repeat test at 12 weeks for conclusive result.
The lips look fine to me.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 37 hours later
Hello doctor
Thanks for your reply , I have a few questions
1) the test was taken on the completion of nine weeks and this week is 11 weeks can I take it now immediately nice again and check for results ( since I have to resume my dental treatment from next week and since I was very scared of the last suspected incident that's why I postponed my treatment this long such that I can check the results and then resume the treatment but since you say that this result cannot be entirely beloved and trusted can I take the test once again by end of this week which makes it 11 weeks or is it strictly only by end of 12 weeks or more than that I should do the test . Also no matter how much times I applysebamed lip balm the lower lips are peeling I have attached few pics please tell me. Whether I can continue with lip balm . I am scared tensed and confused please help me
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding herpes simplex virus infection

Detailed Answer:

Wait for 12 weeks to complete and then test again. You can continue with your dental treatment as that would not hamper the interpretation of results in anyway.
Continue with the lip balm only.

Hope I have answered your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Hello doctor
Today evening a small baby spider fell on my face newrvthe nose and lips and I think I immediately threw it off but I still feel weird about it and since then I feel like my face is itching I have attached pics of my face and lips please tell me if you could see any unusual swelling or redness in face or lips also nowadays very XXXXXXX and then the inner part of the left side lower lips is becoming red like I though I have bitten it but I have not if goes always sometimes in a week sometimes in a couple of days no pain or irritation such but annoying what is this I am petrified please help me
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take an antiallergic

Detailed Answer:

As such there is no visible rash on face. You may take a tablet of antiallergic e.g Fexofenadine tab (Allegra) once a day for 3 days. It will help relieve itching.
For the lip I suggest you to just continue with the moisturizing lip balm.

Take Care!
Dr. Kakkar S.,
Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj